Read Numbers 33:50-56.
After reading this passage, I began thinking of my own idols that need to go. TV is not so much of a problem; I rarely watch it. When it's on, the kids want their shows, and I don't want them to see blood on CSI or Trauma (good show, BTW, you should check it out). My giving up Facebook for Lent really turned into something good. I managed to clean out my basement, so it is now a functional room, a.k.a. Mommy's Hide-Out. I log in daily again, but I don't spend near as much time on it as I used to. I no longer play the games on there, and I don't get stressed out or bothered by what people say because I don't read it so much.
Something else that's changed for the better for me is the station I have my car radio tuned into. I used to be a 95.9 person, but now I absolutely LOVE Family Christian Radio on 91.9/91.5. Every once in a while I'll flip to 95.9 for all of 30 seconds. I think every song on that station is about drinking and/or sex. It is complete filth. (Just my opinion - I hope I haven't offended anyone.) I have found that the Christian music helps my day at work begin and end so much more positively. I feel so much more relaxed and ready to obey God.
Discussion Questions
- When do you find it especially difficult to obey God?
- Have you experienced "barbs and thorns" because you insisted on doing things your own way?
- How does it comfort you to know that God's ways are far above your ways?
- becky

4 comments:
When do you find it especially difficult to obey God? I find it hard to obey God when I am around friends that aren't living in God's word. I feel more freely to swear, and lose my patience that much more easier. I try really hard to refrain from the bad words, but it comes way too freely.
Have you experienced "barbs and thorns" because you insisted on doing things your own way? Of course I have! Doing things my own way because I don't want to relinquish control. But since I have up control, I feel more relaxed and stress free. I feel myself again.
How does it comfort you to know that God's ways are far above your ways? The way I feel comforted is to know that he always has my back. I feel stress free, relaxed, and more open to God's word knowing he has ultimate control. It also makes me feel soo loved, when I don't feel loved at all. I feel like myself knowing he is taking over and I can fully trust in his plan. Which is hard to, but I have finally done it.
This is an excellent topic. My class and I just reviewed the story of the idol Dagon; when the Philistines stole the Ark of the Covenant and put it in the Temple of their 'god' Dagon (1 Samuel 5), at night the idol fell over and was face down in front of the Ark. They replaced it and the next morning, Dagon's "hands" and "head" were broken off. It really spooked the priests of Dagon.
Ok, on to the questions for today: It is difficult to obey God when I feel like I have my own plans and my own ideas and things aren't happening as quickly as I'd like them to. I know that I am, in most ways, a "late bloomer" in terms of my career, my marriage, having children, etc. I don't know why it bothers me now, but it does. I guess God is still teaching me to trust His timing and His gifts.
I have experienced "barbs" and "thorns" because I'm impatient. I make myself easily irritated with people who do things differently than I do. I know that there needs to be a balance in all things but it's all too easy to just focus on wanting things to be the way that I want them.
When I think of God's ways are above my ways, I think of a cross stitch project. I've completed many different types over the years and, from the back, they aren't that beautiful to look at. I think our ways are like that -- sometime we THINK things make sense and then we realize that they didn't. Or we can't make any sense out of something but we forget that we only see things imperfectly. It's hard to continually remind ourselves that the view from 'above', the 'front' view of the cross stitch, God's view, is perfection.
It really all goes back to the Garden of Eden, doesn't it? We want to know enough to be like God. Forgive us, Lord, for breaking the first commandment.
- Tanya
Oh...another thought...
I wanted to share another thought on this topic.
God DOES follow through on His promises, even the ones that call for Him to pour out judgment from disobeying him. We were talking about Solomon in religion class recently. In all my years of learning about Solomon, what things are always highlighted? He was asked by God to choose anything that he wanted. He could've said wealth or power but instead he asked for Wisdom. He wrote Song of Songs (Filled with love, longing, desire) and Proverbs (Filled with practical advice to keep wisdom and avoid foolishness)...and then Ecclesiastes. That is filled with bitterness and disillusionment. Not pretty. When you read about his life, though, 1000 women (most of them foreign) as either his wives or concubines, leaders of other kingdoms continually asking for his advice and insight, commoners asking for advice -- it all drove him away from God and to a feeling of hopelessness. Yes, God promised David that the Savior would be a descendant of David, but guess what -- it WASN'T through Solomon. It's amazing, in some ways, that we have books of the Bible written by Solomon since he ended up turning from God and being a disappointment to God. Why are there SO MANY warnings against idolatry? Because it happens SO easily and it really CAN tear you apart from God.
I liked Becky's comment about different radio stations. I used to listen to a comedy radio show on my drive to work. Last year, everyone around me listened to Christian radio. I have switched my radio to 91.9 for the car rides to/from work. It may only be a few minutes a day but I love it! What a wonderful way to start my day! :)
Tanya,
I love your cross stitch analogy! No pun intended in CROSS stitch, right? ;)
Post a Comment