Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Getting Past Frustration

Read Numbers 21:4-9.

Recently, I heard someone talking about all of these bad things happening to someone they knew - cancer, death of a loved one. You name it, this person was having a difficult time. She said, "Who deals that out?"

A loving God does, that's who. I read in my Luther's Devotional book once that God never promised life to be a bed of roses. (How boring would that be?!) Perhaps our bumps in the road should serve as reminders that we can't do this alone; we need to turn to Him.

What "desert" experience has caused you to grumble?
Oh, I've had a lot of these experiences. Lately, it seems to be other people and work. I need to learn to just let things go instead of crabbing about how people are ticking me off.

What sin has poisoned your heart? Is it envy? Bitterness? Anger?
Probably jealousy/envy. And perfectionism. I think that's a sin when it causes me to be irritated with people when they don't do things exactly my way. Hahaha - I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm being honest. Lying has NOT poisoned my heart.

Today, lift your eyes up toward Jesus and ask him to take the poisonous thoughts from your heart.

- becky

3 comments:

Jenny said...

"Desert" experience: Well the first that comes to mind are my miscarriages. The second one is the problems early on in our marriage. The third is my Aunt/Godmother who was diagnosed with breast cancer.

All of those things could have taken me away from God, because all of those things were very trying, but without God, I'm not sure how I would have gotten through. And in fact it brought me closer to God and not furthur away. So yes, bumps in the road I do believe brings us closer to God! How sad and painful to go through life and all it's trials without God.

What sin poisoned my heart? All of the above! I have envy towards those that have more than I, I have bitterness and anger towards those that have ever done me or my family wrong.

Today I pray that Jesus takes my poisonous thoughts from my heart! And if those things come in, let me take it to Him in prayer!!

jk said...

desert expericence: well Bill and I are struggling financially since the birth of Sawyer God has given us this wonderful gift but seems to in my mind deserted us with the money part. I know that is not true but at times I feel that way... so many people are living fine and get to eat out and go on vacations not us we struggle to pay the bill and put food on the table.... I get so mad why is this happening to us why can't we just love comfortable but I know God has a plan and for us and it seems to be coming soon! :)
What sin poisoned my heart: Envy towards people that have it better than me and lately it seems alot of people are better off then us people taking vacations and spending money on things I can only dream about right now... I have my 2 wonderful kids and would not trade them for the world!

I pray that God will see us through and take away the envy that lies within my heart and just be grateful for what we have :)

Jodes said...

Desert experience: Hmm! Were to start. A lot of stuff has gone on in my young life. 1)my health, 2)my mom's death last year, 3) my family getting stricken with life threatening illnesses and cancers, 4)Ryan and I, and so on.

Poisoned my heart:Jealousy/envy/bitterness/anger. You name it. I have expereinced it. Jealousy towards certain relationships that have caused me to fully trust (will explain in an email if you ask, not here). Envy and jealousy of my friends having the ability to talk to their moms and have mother/daughter moments when I can't anymore. I so badly want her back that it hurts that much more. She has made me the woman I am today, and I so miss her. Envy of people being healthy with no health problems. Bitterness/Anger in all that it went to in saying good-bye to my mom on her death bed, and now. I am over the anger stage, but I might have a little bitterness going on. Not sure. Anger lastly in the "bumps" that are going on with my current relationship. No need to say anymore. I am past the anger also right now. Letting God's plan work out the way he has planned. I though have anger spats at times though with this situation but I am human. I have more happy moments these days than anger moments. So God is helping me heal and get past what I need to heal from.