Church went well this morning. We made it thru...the ENTIRE service! Woot woot - first time in about 3 weeks. :) Tanya, how did it go sitting closer to the front? I moved up a pew hoping that someone would sit behind us, preventing Isaiah from crawling under. It worked! Maybe if we say closer, and he could see what is going on crowd control would be easier for me...
On to today's reading --> Joshua 22:1-20
As this chapter in Joshua begins, it is important to remember that God will provide for us - rest, food, financial needs, etc. - but we must also obey Him. This only makes sense. Why should we expect to sit back and relax in life, forgetting or choosing not to show God how thankful we are for all that He has given us. Set aside the things that we need in our lives here; think of the greatest gift of all. Jesus.
As I continue reading, I am easily reminded that I don't know enough Bible history. So, the altar that the people built was not for worshiping God...? Can someone comment and explain to me? You, see. This is why I'm glad other people are reading along with me! You can help me out when my comprehension skills fail.
- becky
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Joshua 22:1-20
Posted by Becky at 9:58 AM
Labels: Daily Reading, Joshua, Old Testament
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
OK, truly I am nerdy...and I freely admit it... as I read (and then re-read) these verses I thought, "Hey! I remember this story..." I went to the basement (where I do my lesson planning on Sundays) and sure enough -- it is lesson 42 in the CPH Voyages, Grade 5, religion curriculum. Here is what the teacher's edition background says:
"The theme of this episode is one of mistaken intentions. A large altar was built by the tribes on the west side of the Jordan as they returned home after joining with the other tribes in the battles for the conquest of Canaan. Their intent was to build a monument pledging themselves to their common religion. Some took it as an act of defiance and as a desire to establish their own religion. The misunderstanding was peacefully resolved."
The misunderstanding occurred when the east tribes thought that their helpers, the west tribes, had built the new altar for worship a new god. The west tribes really wanted a memorial to their efforts and to how God helped them. I think it's very interesting that even though the east tribes jumped to conclusions and wanted to start a war with the west tribes, they first sent a representative to talk things out.
Interestingly enough, the Objectives of the lesson for the 5th graders are stated as: "describe God's faithfulness to Israel in the new land; continually remember their promises to God through daily repentance and faith, which is strengthened by the Holy Spirit working through the Word; and identify ways to serve God by responding to one another with patience, understanding, and forgiveness and by sharing the Good News."
Amen to all that!
Oh, by the way, K seemed to do much better when we sat in front. She loves having people to look at behind her and loves being up front to see everything. She was singing along to "He's Got the Whole World" (which was so funny that Todd & I had to stop snickering) and she was glued to the offertory sign-language song. She still felt the need to fill out the paperwork in the pews but we made it through without trying to distract her with too many other things. :)
Post a Comment